Getting the venue right is critical to throwing a successful party for your kid’s next birthday. There’s a reason it’s near the top of our Ultimate Kid’s Birthday Party Planning Guide. In today’s post, we will discuss how to pick a birthday party venue for kids using 5-simple factors. These five factors will ensure that your event is picture-perfect.
Location is our initial threshold factor in selecting a birthday party venue for kids. The reason is guests will find it difficult to attend the party if the venue is far away or inaccessible. A handy way to pick a location is to look for places near your kid’s school since his or her friends are already familiar with that location. This will increase the chances your kid’s friends are able to attend. So, even when the place seems to be ideal, put proximity at the top of your list for picking a birthday party venue for kids.
Does the Venue Support the Party Theme?
Chances are you already have a theme in mind for your kid’s birthday party. The theme can impact your venue choice in a few different ways:
- The venue may already have a theme that matches what you’re looking for. An example is a video arcade or martial arts gym. This can minimize the effort on your part to decorate (time saver!).
- The venue may limit your ability to decorate. Be sure to check with the venue to see if they have any limitations on what you can or cannot do for decorations. You wouldn’t want to buy decorations only to find out you can’t even use them.
- Costumes are a great way to enhance the party experience and match your theme. Just make sure the venue is costume friendly. Indoor gyms or trampoline parks may not allow costumes for safety reasons.
Pro Tip: as the parents of young children, we know a child’s interests can change quickly. One month she is obsessed with Princess Jasmine and the next month she’s all about How to Train your Dragon. So don’t pick the theme too far in advance!
Tick Tock, Eyes on the Clock!
It’s important to research the birthday party venue’s policies and requirements regarding timing. This can make or break your decision in selecting a venue. Key questions are:
- What are the venue’s operating hours? Are they only open certain days and times?
- Do they even have availability on your preferred day and time?
- Is there a time limit on the length of events?
- Can you purchase extra time if you want a longer party?
- Can you reschedule if something comes up?
If the answer to these questions suits your needs, you’ve found an ideal venue!
Services & Facilities
Pay special attention to services and facilities when you pick a birthday party venue for kids. Options can vary widely. Outdoor venues like farms will have much different amenities than an indoor playground.
On one end of the spectrum you have public parks that typically offer few amenities beyond benches and bathrooms. On the other end, you have newer facilities like trampoline parks that can offer all-inclusive options that cover everything from food to decorations to party favors. There are many other options in between.
Before looking for venues, have an idea of what level of service and facilities you’re looking for. This will help you narrow down your choices and also manage your budget.
Don’t Forget the Budget!
Organizing your kid’s birthday party isn’t cheap. From invitations to talent to food, the costs can add up. And so, you need to be mindful of what you can afford.
All that said, remember that the ideal place will often cost you more. But there are ways to cut down on the overall expenses, from keeping the guest list small to bringing your own food and supplies. See our budget planning tips here.